At Progressive Training Systems we are involved with a large number of competitions as we believe that it can drive people to be more than they ever expected! As well as being very active on the competition scene in numerous sports, we also host our own competitions at the PTS gym in Northampton.
To see dates and details of our upcoming competitions and to sign up to compete in them or to purchase spectator tickets please follow this link to go to our Facebook page and then follow the tabs to the relevant event:
This is a strength competition where all of your lifts are compared to your bodyweight via a formula known as Wilks. As there is no weight classes and all the weights are nominated by the lifter this is a great way to get introduced to competition in a low-key and friendly way, but also experienced and advanced lifters can see how they stack up against any other lifter, male or female, in the contest! A typical set-up for the Dead Strong competitions is to have a deadlift event (where you have to lift a weight from the floor to lockout with your legs. We use all sorts of different bars for different competitions), an overhead event (where you have to lift a weight from the floor to lockout overhead, like barbells, axles, logs) and a bench press event (where you have to lift a weight to lockout while lying down). We also sometimes throw in an extra event, for example we have pulled trucks, or done a yoke carry with a weight you nominate. We have held five Dead Strong competitions so far, here are links to the videos of them (although it looks like we didn't film number 3!), and keep an eye out for the date of the next one!
- Dead Strong I – 19th Feb 2012 - Watch on YouTube
- Dead Strong II – 23rd Sept 2012 - Watch on YouTube
- Dead Strong IV – 13th Apr 2014 - Watch on YouTube
- Dead Strong V – 12th Oct 2014 - Watch on YouTube
As the sport is very consistent and controlled it is a great sport to get involved with as there are no real surprises once you know what it's about. You compete against yourself and can compete at any level you are capable of. This makes it a great sport to be involved with if you train at a gym like PTS, and as a result we have had a very large number of people join our ever growing powerlifting competition team! As a gym we compete in the GBPF federation in powerlifting, and we usually head to other venues to compete, however we have held one competition which was the East Midlands GBPF Championships on the 23rd of November 2014 (unfortunately we didn't capture this one on film as we were so busy organising it!). We had to borrow competition specification equipment for that competition, so the plan is now to purchase a full set of our own and then host GBPF events on a regular basis. Stay tuned for more information as to when we'll be holding more powerlifting competitions!
We have held quite a few strongman and strongwoman competitions at our gym! Our very first one was East Midland's Strongest Woman in February of 2013, which in the line-up had current stars like Donna Moore, Meg Robson, Stacey Lockyer and Jenny Todd in their first competition days! We now hold regularly the events for Britain's Strongest Woman (The most prestigious strongwoman title in the whole country), East Midland's Strongest, Northamptonshire's Strongest and the Progressive Strongest Novice, as well as other events. Typical tests in these competitions include deadlifting with various different bars and weights, lifting awkward weights overhead like logs, axles, kegs and dumbbells, pushing and pulling objects like sleds and vehicles, pulling objects on ropes, carrying objects like the yoke, farmer's walk handles, kegs, sandbags and more! Here are links to the videos of some of the competitions we have held at PTS so far, stay tuned for dates of all the upcoming competitions!
- East Midland's Strongest Woman – 17th Feb 2013 - Watch on YouTube
- Britain's Strongest Woman – 1st Mar 2014 - Watch on YouTube
- East Midland's Strongest Man 2nd Mar 2014 - Watch on YouTube
- England's Strongwoman Championships Midlands Qualifier – 11th May 2014 - Watch on YouTube
- Northamptonshire's Strongest Woman – 21st June 2014 - Watch on YouTube
- Northamptonshire's Strongest Man – 22nd June 2014 - Watch on YouTube
- The Power Strongman Challenge – 31st Aug 2014 - Watch on YouTube
- Progressive Strongest Novice Woman – 8th Nov 2014 - Watch on YouTube
- Progressive Strongest Novice Man – 9th Nov 2014 - Watch on YouTube
- East Midland's Strongest Woman – 28th Feb 2015 - Watch on YouTube
- East Midland's Strongest Man – 1st Mar 2015 - Watch on YouTube